After the initial shock of impact of a car accident, it can be difficult to maintain one's composure and know what to do. Amidst the adrenaline and heightened emotions of this time, it is imperative you remain calm and focus on controlling your situation. What you do during this time can have a massive impact on your chances of filing a successful claim.
If you are involved in a car accident, it is urgent you adhere to the following steps:
- Stay at the scene: One of the worst things you can do after being involved in a car accident is to flee the scene without stopping to render aid or exchange information. This is considered a "hit and run" and is a crime punishable by up to five years in prison and fines up to $5,000. Do not, under any circumstances, leave the scene of an accident until permitted to do so by police.
- Check for injuries: Check yourself, your passengers, and anyone in the other involved vehicles for injuries. If anyone appears to be hurt, dial 9-1-1 immediately.
- Call the police: A police officer will be able to help you gain control of the situation and move your vehicles to a safe place if possible. The responding officer will create a police report of the incident containing the facts of the collision and any evidence of fault. It is important you write down the names and badge numbers of any police officers that help you.
- Exchange information: Once the police have arrived and medical personnel have attended to any injured parties, your next priority is to calmly exchange contact and insurance information with the other involved drivers. Write down their names, phone numbers, driver's license numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance information.
- Do not discuss the accident: Refrain from making any statements about the accident, as anything you say can potentially be used against you. Even seemingly innocent statements such as "I didn't see you," "I'm sorry," or "my bad" can potentially be seen as an admission of fault, thereby placing the blame on your shoulders before an investigation is even conducted. The only person you should speak with regarding the accident is your attorney.
- Contact Mesa Law Firm: If you have been injured in a car accident, it is vital you retain the services of a skilled lawyer as soon as possible to maximize your chances of recovering a fair settlement for your injuries. An attorney can help you file a claim against the at-fault driver and their insurance company and handle any disputes that should arise on your behalf.
Top-Rated Car Accident Lawyer in Coral Gables
At Mesa Law Firm, our knowledgeable Coral Gables car accident attorneys have more than 15 years of experience representing injured clients and have won several awards for our unparalleled advocacy, including a 2014 Super Lawyers® Rising Stars℠ designation and a perfect 10.0 "Superb" Avvo Rating.
To find out more about how our firm can help you, call (888) 897-7230 or request a free case evaluation today. If we do not win, you do not pay us a dime!